Saturday, October 22, 2022

 PARANOIA has begun to sit in. Yet one more time a blog that I visit on occassion has been "blacklisted" by the blogger algorythms. I am sure they will eventually get it sorted out and be back online but it has triggered my paranoia that those same algorythms will someday find a word or a sentence in something I write and Moran-Newman-Farms will just vanish and everything I have written will be lost for eternity.

While nothing here has, so far, been deemed inappropriate it could happen especially if I ever let go and start a rant about some idiot in Washington, DC. So I have been trying to figure out how to backup my blog contents to my hard drive just to be on the safe side. This is, afterall, sort of my diary and I would like to keep it. Who knows, it may someday become the inspiration for that great American novel and its loss could change the course of history. (No over inflated ego here.)

I did finally find some instructions of how to download the blog contents and followed them. What I got was someting called an .xml file which is just tons of code that I am not able to read. One solution I found was to just drag and drop the file into Chrome which I did and it tried to open, did so partially, but then just so much crap that it was not readable and yet another area where one arm of Google does not know how to work with another arm of Google. So I tried to find something that could convert .xml to a more human friendly format and failed. I did find an .xml reader that says it automatically converts the .xml to PDF format but, even though it is a Google product, it fails and says there is an error in formatting of the .xml file (produced by Google). So their own programs can not talk to one another.

If I was still in the Microsoft universe I would know how to deal with this but a little over a year ago I moved into the Chrome universe, which I really do like, and do not have the knowledge or skills to make these conversions.

I have a 22 inch Chromebase (not a Chromebook, but the desktop)


And, yes, my work table is that messy and covered with cords and cables. Sorry. Of course Google and Chrome do not provide any solutions on how to deal with this issue within their own universe.

So, if any of you have the skillset, knowledge or optional solution to backing up a Blogger Blog I am open to suggestions and will be eternally greatful for your assistance in putting my paranoia to rest.

8 comments:

  1. This might help
    https://shadowsteve.blogspot.com/2022/10/backing-up-and-clearing-out.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion. There was one suggestion on copying each month of entries then pasting them to the cloud (which in my case is still Google). But once in the cloud I have an option to download them on one of several readable formats which I can then save to an external hard drive. Thanks, you are a life saver. My favorite flavor is Cherry.

      Delete
  2. I will fiddle about with my iphone and MacBook for ages till I finally figure out how to do most things but Blogger is an insurmountable law unto itself - it just decides who's blogs I can comment on and who I can't.
    Incidentally I can't open Paul's link above; maybe because I'm in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, I mean Paul!

      Delete
    2. Anne Brew
      I mean Bob!!!
      ( Need an early night! )

      Delete
    3. Few things worse than a stutter in print.

      Delete
  3. Oh yay!
    I also downloaded my blog(s) and uploaded them to WordPress just in case. You can log on WordPress from your Chrome browser using your Blogger log on, btw.
    I have backed my blogs on WordPress because no fucker is gonna tell me what I can post or not.
    Oh, your desktop looks like mine, but I have a Mac.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed your suggestion and was able to finally figure out how to successfully import my blogger content to wordpress and that is at morannewmanfarms.wordpress.com the only problems I had were my own stupidity but they were eventually overcome. I still have to figure out how to just use it to back up blogger right now but will, over time, try to figure out how to actually use it. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete