Monday, February 6, 2023

 Well the pain is pretty much still being managed by the CBD which is a really good thing for me. And, today is supposed to be really nice, mid-70's but tomorrow promises to be cold again. We keep getting hints about what Spring is going to be like. I just wish it would stick.

Now, the ongoing saga of the story of me. This is the part that will probably prove to be the hardest because it requires me to reveal my flaws and weakness'. But, it all ends on a happy note of true love. So, hang on.

When I was 25 (remember this is way back when 30 was old) I decided to become a more "normal" person. I had my job with the City of Los Angeles and I made the decision to focus more on that and less on the night job. All that was well and good except I did continue to go out every night after work even though I was not doing business much any more. And, I am the first to admit that the getting drunk on 3/2 beer while in the army must have planted a seed somewhere in me and I was drinking more and more.

Finally I reached to point that I no longer went to "nice" bars and clubs but focused on a bar South of the Nickle in Los Angeles (the skid row of L.A.). The bar was called the Circle. This is not the one that is now in Santa Monica but rather downtown. It was called the Circle because the bar itself was round and located in the center of the building. 

I would go there after work. Still in my suit and tie, walking through skid row as if there was no risk at all. And, once there, I would drink until someone who knew me would take me home and put me to bed. Did I have a drinking problem? I did not admit it yet but yes I did.

I do recall feeling safe in no small part because of a rather rough looking Black drag queen named Irma who wore a switch blade in her garter and let it be known that I was her pet and was off limits to anyone else.

But then, one night, I decided to go West to what is now officially the City of West Hollywood. I knew a bartender that had started working at The Eagle, he was a friend, and never passed any judgement on me or anyone. I do remember one night years before at another bar. The music was really loud and he was trying to tell me something. He shouted out what he was saying just as the music stopped. "I want to have sex with you" (he was a little more specific actually) and the entire bar heard him and broke into applause.

Anyway, I stood at the end of the bar in the dark and just sort of looked around the room. Suddenly my eyes stopped on a young man and he looked at me and smiled. I walked over to him and stupidly said "what is a guy like you doing in a place like this?" to which he replied, "looking for you". And so began a lifetime relationship full of love that I had never believed I would ever have.

And, so, I am going to stop now because I am getting emotional at the memories. I will write more tomorrow about what happened and how I stopped drinking almost 43 years ago and why.

Love you all. Have a really great day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your shoulder is getting better (or, at least not as painful). The gay community owes everything to our Drag Queens. Our equality is a result.
    I've only made one friend at a bar. The rest were one night tricks. And, like you,...I was hitting the bars a lot!
    jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG
    Loves it! Yes!!!!
    Finding love in the shadiest places at the least expected minute?? Yes!

    Also, really happy that the CBD is working. One of my squirrelfriends is managing her chronic pain with it and she loves it. Also, many, many, people I know have had struggles with drinking socially. Really.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You weren't wrong. Thirty IS old. I don't trust anybody over thirty myself.

    I am glad the CBD is working for you. Chronic pain sucks.

    ReplyDelete