Thursday, February 2, 2023

 O.K. By popular demand a bit more of my story.

So, my short stent in the Army. Yes, I was very young. Actually I was only 17 but close enough to my 18th birthday that my mother signed for me and bingo there I am a little soldier boy. The picture that I posted was in basic training at Ft. Jackson SC. They sold something called 3/2 beer that, if you drink enough of it you could actually get drunk and have a 90 percent chance of throwing up later.

While I now, and have always, supported the US Military about 80 percent I did not support the war we were involved in at that time but knew that I will probably end up drafted after I turned 18. There was no reason for them to defer me. Except, I knew that being Gay was a pretty much immediate discharge. It did not work so well prior to being enlisted for many people who "pretended" to be Gay to not have to serve. You really had to already be in uniform before they "found out".

So, knowing that and knowing that eventually they would do there standard "tell us know rather than later and end up in prison" pitch. And, when they did ask I did tell. And within 30 days I was on a flight home.

Of course, back then that resulted in a discharge under less than honorable conditions. But being a real believer that it is o.k. to lie so long as you can fulfill the promise of the lie that was not something that bothered me. I could lie my way into just about any sort of job...and did for most jobs I had from then to the rest of my work life.

More important to me though was that now it was time for me to go forth with my career of which my body and sex were the only qualifications. So, off to New Orleans I went.

I lied my way into a Asst. Manager trainee job with no problem. Just had to convince them I was older than I really was. Got a place to live and worked every day and went out every night. At first, just the conpanionship and "hookup" with other Gay men my age and a little older. But when I first met someone who paid me to be with them it was one of those proverbial forks in the road we sometimes are offered. I could continue my ordinary life with an occassional trist with someone or I could focus on selling my company to those who really wanted it and were willing to pay. Needless to say the latter was a more attractive vocation to me and off I went into what would be my primary source of income for the next 7 or 8 years. Two or three customers a night was pretty much my limit but the pay was good by anyones standards.

Anyone who paid for my company always got what they paid for. I did not go for anything particularly kinky and I always delivered the goods. There were times when I would end a "job" right in the middle because something was expected that I was not willing to do. And, there were times, when I would allow someone to pick me up in a hotel bar. Usually an older man who had to drink a lot to get up the courage to seek what he wanted. We would go to his room and more often than not he would end up passed out on the bed. I admit that on occassion I would help myself to any cash in his wallet. Never any credit cards or anything else, just cash. Always what I had been promised and often a bit more if there was more.

At a few of the hotels I worked the bartenders would figure out what I was up to. A couple of them exiled me from their bars but most of them would work a customer in my direction. Those were the ones I liked and I would always give them a gracious tip as I left the hotel.

So, enough for today. Probably more tomorrow. Now I am going to just rest my old tired self. Memory lane takes its toll afterall.

6 comments:

  1. Three a night! Two was my limit.
    I had a friend who was dishonorably discharged from the army because he was gay. He always called it "Donald Ducked".
    Your Kindred Spirit,
    jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh You WERE very young!!
    And I cannot believe you had to be in uniform to be 'discharged'. Bastards. So it was a 'dishonorable' discharge? You could have been dishonorable discharged because you were other things besides being gay, right? I have to look that up.
    And I think that getting some dough and a lot of pleasure would be my way to work. I don't know if I could do three a night, but like Jimmy, I could do two. Yep.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is more commonly called a dishonorable discharge. I think as part of Don't Ask Don't Tell there is a way to have that expunged. But it does not matter to me. It was a way to do what I chose to do and not end up in jail. And, yes, dishonorable discharges are/were issued for all sorts of reasons besides being Gay. Note: being in uniform and telling got you a discharge. Being in uniform, not telling and getting caught could end you up in military jail back then. A lot of young guys tried to "be gay" at their draft boards and it usually did not work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enlisted just before Christmas and they sent us home for the holidays so that and the transfer from Fort Polk Louisana to Fort Jackson S.C. added up to about two months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you get a dishonorable discharge for telling the truth, when they won't let you out by admitting you were gay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the logic of an institution known for its misogyiny and homophobia.

      XOXO

      Delete