Thursday, February 9, 2023

 Good morning my friends. I was sitting here thinking/remembering a couple of things. I once took a Comparitive Literature class where an assignment was to answer the question "What Is Love". Of course it was the late 70's so a lot of the answers had to do with either peaceful coexistence and/or sex. I came up with the following which I rediscovered in a box of old papers I was going through.

"Love is the ability to share, at the most intimate level, the very essence of your being with another."

That was what My Robert and I had. While being two very unique individuals we were also one. The amazing and almost impossible ONE where you do not lose yourself but actually become one with another. You think alike, you like the same things, you even often have no need to speak because you know that the other has already heard what you were going to say. All that and maintaining the individual and uniqueness of you both.

Now a blast from the past. Way back when, before My Robert and I met, I did volunteer for a couple of years as the overnight help line person at the original Gay Community Services Center (GCSC) in Los Angeles. Those were wonderful days. Days of awakening, growing and becomming for an entire community of people. I found this picture online of the old original GCSC.


What began as a group of activist meeting in the living room of Morris' home has now grown to possibly the largest LGBTQ+++ organization in the world. And, that Gay community has grown from just a handful of openly Gay men scattered around the country to millions of openly proud LGBTQ+++ people around the world. When I remember those days and look a the past 40+ years I know, in my heart of hearts, that no matter what "they" try to do to roll back the clock we will never be defeated.

And, if I have any regrets at all, they are not self directed but rather a massive regret that so many never had, or will have, the experience of being Gay and alive pre-AIDS and the gentrification of America.

There is a history to be learned and loved. If you are as old as I am share those memories, good and bad, with the world. If you missed out on those days of discovery and growth, know that you have within you the seeds that were planted and you can plant those seeds to continue the growth and development of this amazing community that we are all a part of.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the idea of writing with a prompt.
    And you are right, in the seventies it was probably peace or sex. And the seventies were instrumental to where we are today. People seem to forget that and take things for what they are TODAY. Which is a mistake. Look at that community center: at one moment it was just somebody's dream.
    We should not take anything for granted.
    And I love how you call him My Robert. So romantic.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was, is and will always be My Robert. It all started when we had several friends named Robert so calling him My Robert set him apart. The passing of time and the growth of our love set him in the roll so...he is My Robert.

      Delete
  2. Everything we are today is a direct result of who came before and opened a door for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Back then we were building on the foundation established by Matachine, One and others as well as back into the 18th Century and before. We are the foundation on which those that have come and will come after us can build...but only if we share what we have learned and are learning.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I pretty much missed out on pre-AIDS gay culture. I regret this, but it is probably for the best. Although I have attended events at our local LGBTQ+ center I am not sure I found real community there. (Maybe I am being too picky.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in the pre-AIDS era. I also worked with AIDS patients at a major medical center before there was any sort of treatment. Not a fun time. I also feel we are losing ground with equality. Too much 'Love' and not enough fight.

    ReplyDelete