Friday, March 10, 2023

 It is said that before you die your life flashes before you and you see all the good and bad and nondescript elements that brought you to that point.

Well, I fully do not intend on leaving this planet any time soon but did wake up this morning with my head filled with memories (mental images and thoughts) about my childhood. It is amazing how much we remember of our early years yet shove those thoughts and memories to the back of the bus and ignore them. Even though they tend to flavor our daily existence in many ways.

I may have mentioned it before but the earliest memory that I have was when I was just over three years old. My mother, sister and I were taking the train from Abilene, TX to Santa Cruz, Calif. where my mothers parents lived. My parents had just divorced and we were going there so that my mother could get a new start.

At one point the train stopped for some reason late at night or early morning and my mother got off to go get something for us to eat. As she was coming back to the train (and I have a visual memory of this) the train started to move...leaving the station.

My mother dropped the things she had bought and began to run toward the train. My sister (who was 18 months older) and I began to scream and cry. Another passenger, seeing what was about to happen, reached up and pulled the emergency cord that all trains had back then and the train jolted to a stop. Mother managed to get back on and our terror ended. And, the person that pulled the emergency cord actually bought us some food from the dining car later.

I could go on and on about memories that I have from that age up to about the age of 13. Then there is a gap from 13 to 17 at which point my memories come back and you have all read of some of those before here in this little piece of the blog universe.

Why we have these moments of recollection I do not know. But they do happen now and then, some memory just says it is not content with sitting on the back of the bus anymore and lurches forward into our brain and, often, leaves us breathless filling us with a sort of happy/saddness for the remainder of that day.

But today is going to be a nicer day for me. The weather, while chilly, is not bad since there is next to no wind. I do have to go to the market about two blocks from here and get a few things. I fixed breakfast in my little apartment this morning and used the last of my eggs plus I need a few other things.

And, maybe most important, I need to clean this place before the cleaning lady gets here today. And then there is the always present basket of laundry that needs doing...but that can wait until tomorrow.

Plus, I renewed my subscription to AMC+ and am streaming Mayfair Witches which turns out to be actually pretty good even though it messes with Rice's books in ways I do not agree with. I have two more episodes to watch and I will be done with that. As for reading Proust. Well, it is going slow as it has always gone when I have tried to read it before. But I am determined to make it all the way through this time and it will help me fill up some Spring days.

Now, just one last thing. And this is only meant with the least little bit of seriousness. But I will really be happy when Climate Change melts both the northern and southern ice caps and flood the planet. Primarily because all the models I have seen show that Florida will cease to exist. Did you guys know that Miami is only about 6 inches above sea level? So, it will not take all that much to get rid of them. And, going to the Gulf Coast will only be a couple of hours away from where I live now. Lots of nice day trips to the beach.

7 comments:

  1. Miami Beach floods at high tide most times along the beach these days. They (the News) are showing aerial views of Spring Break (college kids) on the beach here in Ft. Lauderdale. The beach was twice a wide when I was in high school and the filming of "Where The Boys Are".
    I have some phantasmagoric childhood memories from my early years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to live in Miami and might have one day had beachfront property if we'd stayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I've told a friend whose mom lives in Miami that one day he'll have a beachfront apartment. Seriously.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. OMG that was traumatic! Of course you're gonna remember that.
    And the weather here is INSANE. We are having snow today.

    XOXOX

    p.s. I just posted a comment and Blogger ate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is important to do the cleaning before the cleaning staff arrive. You would not want to be embarrassed when they see the state of your apartment.

    It's a good thing that stranger pulled the emergency brake. What a memory!

    ReplyDelete