Friday, March 17, 2023

 Well, from near 80 degrees yesterday to 38 degrees this morning. High today in the low 50's if we are lucky. Just when you thought it was safe to put away the heavy winter coat...

Today I have no appointments, no plans, just a lot of time to indulge myself. Wish there were some other younger (under 90) residents here to hang out with. But as it is there are mainly just the old farts. Many of them are so conservative that they make even the harshest Republican seem like a Yellow Dog Democrat.

The other day I was invited by the lady (a resident) that takes care of our Library to assist her in maintaining it since it is right next to where I live. At first I thought that would be a fun pass time as I am infatuated with books...always have been. When I was a kid I could get a book from the Library to read when we usually did not have enough money for me to go to a movie. And the book lasted longer and took me to places I could only dream about.

Well, as she began to point out the contents of the Library I realized that it is made up primarily of Western Novels and Romance Novels. There is a little local history as well. In the process of chatting she mentioned how she really like the Romantic Comedies on television which seemed to be a interest we shared. But then she began to talk about how bad things were becomming with all the "Queer" men kissing one another and how the "Queer" people in Abilene were "trying to take over the city". I did not go off on her like I wanted to do but I did point out how she was a bigot and declined to help any more with the Library. Then went back to my apartment.

A few time since she has passed me in the dinning room and smiles and says hello. I am polite to her, I do have to live here after all and am in the minority, but I am not friendly and do not plan on being.

I fought all those battles back in the 60's, 70's and 80's and I am content resting now and letting the new and younger generation take over...though they seem to not be all that interested in fighting the good fight. Here in Abilene the Gay community has a lot of young folks involved but they defer to those others who are only a few years younger than I.

The pendulum swung our way for a long time, it now seems to be swinging back the other way. I have faith that it will eventually move in a more positive direction with time though I may not be around to see that happen.

It is just so tragic that people can not just recognize that we are all in this together and moving in the same direction eventually. Just leave one another alone if you do not agree with how they live and love. But the human race seems to be horribably flawed in that area.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel you. The weekend here is going to be positively chilly.
    And I can imagine many of the people living there ARE very conservative and bigoted.
    I love how you still nod to that cow but have nothing to do with her. A bigot is a bigot is a bigot. You do not need her or her ilk.
    And you are right about younger people not taking things seriously. I do know some younger activists and lawyers. People in their late twenties and early thirties who are very active in politics and the community. But many of the gays I know worry more about the next dick. *sigh*
    We swung one way with Obama and then came Mango Mussolini and we were fucked. It'll swing back again, I'm sure. Or at least I hope.
    I love that you love books, though.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those Cubans who got to Miami before the shit hit the fan were all oligarchs or people with money. They do NOT care about others. They only care about themselves and their money/status.
    And yep, it's Anita Bryant all over again. Goddess, is that a hateful cow!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you should help out at the library even if the librarian has bigoted views. Being involved will give you something to look forward to. You and the librarian both have something in common -- a love of books.

    Also, you can hold some social events. For example, you could invite some drag queens to come read stories to the residents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh. I can just see a troop of Drag Queens with boxes of book marching through the building. There would be so many denture dropped on the floor that it would take a week to pick them all up. And some of the older men with dementia would probably hit on them and have a stroke.

      Delete
  4. And how we live and how we feel about life and our hopes for the future and I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yellow Shoes ( Anne Brew )March 18, 2023 at 10:51 AM

    What a sad life that lady has chosen to live; cutting herself off from one tenth of the population because of a prejudice no doubt instilled from childhood.
    I’m gradually changing my blog name on the advice of a techy friend following an annoying series of scams on my email.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you were probably nicer than I would have been (point at her feet in the dining room, gasp "cheap shoes", clutch my chest, and roll/fall out of my chsir onto the floor). Like many of us you probably realize that you have more days behind you than ahead of you. You do not have time to waste in places where you are not wanted.



    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete