Friday, November 11, 2022

 Well I was going to man up and mow the yard today no matter how much it hurt. But our high temp of 54 degrees was shortly after midnight and the daytime high is expected to only be in the 40's with chill factors in the 30's and tonight it is predicted to get below freezing for the first time this year. So, grass gets a reprieve. Maybe it will just freeze solid and I can go out and just break it off. One has eternal hope.

So the only real thing I have to take care of today is manage to drive in to town this afternoon to pick up my Trulicity prescription at the pharmacy and a few things at the grocery store. Think I might need to get some comfort food just don't know what I want or will want over the next few days.

For those interested this is early in the season for us to go below freezing. Usually our real winter starts in Jan. and runs through March. But they (the weather pundits) have been predicting that we will have yet another really severe winter. Two years ago (the big freeze that saw so many deaths) it got in the 20's with overnights below zero for 10 days or so. Power outages and all that mess. Last year it was a regular occurance for temps to drop below freezing for weeks at a time. And now this. It is no wonder that my arthritis is peaking.

So I will spend the next few months doing what I do best which is avoiding doing anything that does not absolutely have to be done. Multiple layers of clothing. Lots of reading and hopefully some good movies on television (I have Prime, Vudu, and the free streaming channels plus hundreds of channels on Dish to choose from). I may even begin to write that book I have been going to write for so many years.

Some of you have been having your Indian Summer. Enjoy it while you have it. Your winter will come in time. The rest of you...just enjoy waking up on this side of the grass today and treat yourselves to the best life possible.

I am editing this post to add...the powers that be have just issued a freeze warning for tonight...oh joy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Here in the UK its uncommonly mild for November this week which is some comfort to those of us dreading the rise in fuel payments.
    Although we older members of the UK population still talk in yards, miles and pounds we seem to have seamlessly transferred our brains to Celsius/centigrade! During the summer the news for one week was how temperatures had reached 42 degrees. I never once heard anyone say - "That's over 100 degrees!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My car has a button I once pushed by accident. I was driving along a looked at the speedometer. It said I was going 110 In a panic I pushed on the break then noticed it was kph and not mph. Silly button.

      Delete
  2. I spent 20 years in the Pacific Northwest, Arcata/Eureka, CA. It was heavenly. The really hot temps would get to about 74 and the really cold to 45 or 50. Even all the rain didn't bother me. I was born here where I live now and came back full circle as life often does after a life altering industrial accident. I really despise the weather, lol, but am grateful to be in a blue state, which is the next best thing to being back in my beloved Redwoods.

    ReplyDelete