Monday, January 16, 2023

 MAYFAIR WITCHES...Part Two

I watched the second episode of Mayfair Witches and while it is proving to be an entertaining series it has little to do with the Rice books beyond the basic plot line of a woman with the powers of a witch who is heir to a powerful family of witches and bound to a spirit named Lasher.

I am not a big fan of how producers and directors have taken to a so called adaptation of a printed work only to try to rewrite everything in their own image. I know that to make these three books into a visual story would take a lot of money and a lot longer than a few episodes. But I don't find that as a valid excuse to just use a writers reputation and the titles and plot lines of their work and try to make it into something of their own.

Maybe I am just too much of a traditionalist. I have read and reread the books a number of times. I am always amazed at Rice's writing skills and style and would love it if the AMC series was more in track with those works than it is proving to be.

It upset me enough that I cancelled my AMC+ subscription and will watch it on regular AMC instead until they make the decision to just broadcast it on the + station like they have done with other shows in the past.

Now for the days weather. Mid 70's with a lot of typical West Texas wind. Good thing I don't have a wig.

2 comments:

  1. Oh noooo
    Why would they do that? The original material is cinematographic enough to allow itself to be adapted without totally changing the feeling of the books. Rice brought to life those characters and the least the producers should do is keep the spirit of the books.
    And I don't have AMC (don't have cable) but I was ready to bum the episodes off a friend's account. Ugh.
    And mid seventies? Nice! Wind and all.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't not watch it. Just don't expect it to have much more to do with the books other than the basic plot line. I will continue to watch it for a bit just not as the same story as the books.

      Delete