Friday, January 20, 2023

 Quick check of the weather shows that Winter is not done with us yet. This coming Tuesday we will be dipping into the 20's which I am not looking forward to.

Right now I am just sitting here waiting for the cleaning lady to show up. One of the great things about living here is that every two weeks she comes in and cleans. There are also people that do our laundry for us but I am not at that point yet. I like to do my own. There is a sort of zen about doing a load of laundry.

Looking around my little apartment I realize how really small it is. At 385 sq. ft. it is about 2/3 the size of my bedroom out on the farm. Right now I am sitting at my desk located in the corner near a window. I call this my study. A desk, chair, Library Table, Two small tables. One table has the printer which is wireless and connects to all my devices without cables. The other table sometimes holds my snacks and sometimes the outfit I am going to put on today. The desk and library table are my work space and home to 4 (yes 4) computers of varying sizes from my 22 inch Chromebox to a 10 inch Fire tablet with keyboard. There is also the charging disk for my phone and a charging unit for my vape pen.

Looking toward the door to the unit is a large television cabinet with my 55 inch smart TV. Which is, I have to admit, slightly smarter than I am since it remembers what I like to start my day with and tunes to that channel every morning regardless of what channel it was on when I turned it off. So that area would be my television room I suppose.

Across the room is my bedroom/living room. A really comfortable twin sized day bed, an arm chair and lamp to sit in while I watch television or read a book...or, as is the case often, just doze off for a while.

Then, on the two other walls are my really large closet which also include some shelving that is my library and the kitchen which only gets used for making coffee, doing what few dishes I manage to soil and a really nice sized small refrigerator that keeps ice cream solid, makes ice really fast and has more than enough space for my needs since almost all of my meals are had in our cafe and prepared by the staff here. I do have a small stove but never use it so I have ordered a noodle board as a cover for it and for the additional counter space. If I do any cooking I have a small electric griddle, a small electric waffle iron and a egg cooker the is a magic thing in it own right.

So, not all that bad. Where I used to have to walk half a block to get from my bedroom to the kitchen just to get a cup of coffee now it is just a few steps or, if I am feeling social I can go to the lobby of the building or to one of the public areas and partake of any number of blends of K-Cups. I even, though I would never buy it myself, have begun to enjoy French Vanilla coffee now and then.

The small space also encourages me to get out and walk around the neighborhood. Something I never did out on the farm. So, I am walking much more than I was in the past and feeling better for it.

My surogate great granddaughter sent me a picture of Sara the other day all cuddled up on a plush sofa wrapped in a nice warm blanket, so that was nice. My big dog Duke could not stay where he was originally rehomed but has moved to a nice home with two other large dogs and they say he plays with them like he was a puppy.

The initial knowledge that I was going to have to make this move really scared me to death and the adjustment was, and is, sometimes difficult to make. But make it I am and I am better for it. As expensive as this place is I find that I have money left at the end of the month from simply not having to pay utilities and buy groceries. That is nice, gives one a nice feeling of security.

So, if you ever find yourselves confronted with having to make a similar move in the future...yes it will be traumatic, but if you open yourself up to the changes, both good and bad, you will make it and might just find that you like it as I am finding.

5 comments:

  1. We are in the planning stages of a downsixe ... we'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With two people you will need more space than my little space but it is very doable. Good luck moving forward.

      Delete
  2. We downsized to a house I inherited. Both of my parents died in this house. I plan on doing the same. The location is perfect (lucky me).
    I have a question???...What is your name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon Newman. Facebook is www.facebook.com/jtn42248/ I just go by Jon. I am the Newman in Moran Newman Farms. My husband, Robert Moran died March 14 2021 from Covid Pneumonia. More infor than you asked for. Sorry. By the way, your blog is back to the March 2021 posting again. Pussy between the legs is gone.

      Delete