Wednesday, December 14, 2022

 Well, it is supposed to be pleasantly cool today but tonight it will hit freezing for the first time this year. And, by the weekend they are predicting the teens with at least a week of really cold weather. They are even saying we may have a little snow on Christmas Eve. How I would prefer Christmas in Australia.

This is my memory wall. I know it looks like some sort of shrine and, in many ways it probably is, but I call it my memory wall because of a fear that is growing inside me. I have read over and over about how people "heal" the loss of a loved one over time resulting in often forgeting even what they look like. That is something I can never allow to happen. Robert was the center of my universe and always will be. So, I set this up in my new place.


It has a picture of Robert, the cross we put over our door when we bought the farm, a saying I found after he died ("always and forever kind of love"), a little chotskie he treasured that I named Pancho Plumpo, his business card holder and his ear muffs (which like his sweaters and some other items I will use to keep warm this winter). And, of course Timmy's old harness (Timmy now has a nice new bright orange step in harness).

As long as I don't put votive candels there or leave little plates of food out then it really is not a shrine.

OMG! I just took my first sip of coffee this morning and I can actually feel my eyes coming into focus and my heart starting to beat. Maybe coffee was the fuel of the Frankenstein monster. Look out world...it's alive!!!

4 comments:

  1. It's really good to read how well you're settling in.
    A doctor you get on well with is going to be a real plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm all for keeping the people we love with us. I have pics of my mom, who passed away years ago, in my space. I live alone, kind of, so I put whatever I want on my tables. I love your 'Robert Space'
    Your Robert was YOUR Robert, so eff whomever does not like what you do in your space. If you feel like throwing some candles and Pan Dulce next November, good for you. I don't think you're wallowing, I think you are keeping a memory that is close to you alive.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More likely Pumpkin Empanadas instead of Pan Dulce. If I don't eat them all first. Thanks.

      Delete