Friday, December 23, 2022

 Impulse buying may someday be my downfall. I am a sort of computer addict. One can never have too many of them. I use them as tools, as entertainment, as a device by which I can communicate (such as this blog) and as a replacement these days for all sorts of printed material and research sources.

So, yesterday, when I got one of those Walmart emails that said they saw that sommething caught my eye...well I had to open it to see what it was that I had been interested in and it was a laptop computer. I do remember looking at it and deciding I could really not afford it and really really did not need yet one more computer. But, the email said it was on sale as a Best Buy so I gave it another look see.

And, yes, I did end up buying it. How could I not. A Lenovo 14 inch Laptop with Windows 11 (which I like except it is a Microsoft product) and I got it for less than 150 dollars and it was delivered to me here at home in less than two hours. So now including all desktops, laptops, varioius size tablets, Kindles, and so-called smart devices (cell phones) I have six computing devices.

Of course I then realized that I did not have an extra mouse and that I needed additional USB wall plug adapters so went online to order some of those and while there I ordered a really cute Teal colored single slice toaster and a water bottle made of clear plastic shaped like a milk carton. So, the new laptop did provoke the spending of even more money which I do not regret but do realize that I was getting close to being out of control.

I the past I had my Robert to stand at the door and say Jon, do you really need that right now? And, that would at least slow me down. And, then a few days later what ever I had been considering would be delivered by UPS or Fedex having been baught by Robert who wanted me to always have everything I desired. But now I only have that memory the makes me smile and sad at the same time.

I will now just tighten the belt and enjoy my new toy. A Christmas gift to myself from Robert.

6 comments:

  1. I do not have the shop-a-holic bug and I'm kinda happy about it because it seems like quite the rabbit hole!
    Enjoy your toys! And Merry Merry, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Merry Merry Happy Happy to you and Carlos and all the furry ones. Stay warm and look forward to a truly special New Year.

      Delete
  2. I don’t have the shopping bug either - I don’t even like shopping!
    Having said that some years ago I decided my life wouldn’t be complete till I had an iPhone and a MacBook Air. And so I went shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it is not so much the act of shopping as it is being so self indulgent. If I see something I want, some pretty shiny thing, I want the instant gratification of owning it then and there. One reason I do not do Malls and that sort of thing is that there is just too much temptation for me.

      Delete
  3. Of course now I want the toaster and the water bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toaster about 18 dollars, water bottle less than 7 dollars, both at Walmart online. If you are like me and live alone a single slice toaster is all you need and the water bottle is just too cute to say no to.

      Delete