Monday, July 11, 2022

 A moth committed suicide in my cup of coffee this morning. Not knowing if it was a flavor of moth I might enjoy I had to dump my coffee and wash the cup before pouring another. Damned moth. Made me waste a cup of coffee. Selfish thing has no idea what the price of coffee is these days.

Speaking of which. At the little market here in Coleman, TX (the only store in town and they know it) a dozen eggs are now going for 7.49 while a pound of "cheap" bacon is 23.98 and my income (fixed retirement and Social Security is not going up at all. In fact, with the increases in just about everything my income is effectively going down.

Luckily our mortgage is fixed so that remains the same. The PI is only 283.00 per month but when you add in the monthly escrow account (taxes and insurance) the monthly mortgage runs close to 700.00 and of course taxes and insurance go up pretty much every year.

At my age (74) and the size of our house and land it is getting harder for me to actually take care of things on a day to day basis. Plus I have health conditions that require frequent visits to doctors all of whom are at least 50 miles away. So, add that to the fact that eventually I will have to stop driving (later rather than sooner I hope) I have to give thought to someday moving into a more urban area.

The only problem with that sort of move is that apartments average 1,000,00 per month just about everywhere near me. So, I have actually begun to think about a senior independent living situation. Again though, even though they include everything, rent, utilities, meals, it would take almost my entire monthly income to even get into an efficiency unit. Plus I would have to give up my dogs, quit smoking (OMG No!) and be dependent on others to get to and from anyplace I would go.

So, looks like I will probably just stay put until they drag my lifeless or drooling old body out of here and put me in a "home" or the ground.

And, on that cherry note, I will end this writing.

Smile at someone today. Stay happy and healthy and safe. We are not out of the virus shadow yet and other viruses seem to be lining up in the wings for their entrance.

3 comments:

  1. I slept too long/wrong. Whoever would have thought that sleep would cause people my age to walk like a toddler (waddle) upon awakening? Certainly not me. I recall as a teenager anxious to get 'older' so I could do what I wanted to do. Not knowing that that meant doing a lot of other stuff that other people wanted (showing up for work on time, succumbing to other peoples wishes for things like supper, etc., etc.).
    I wasn't told getting older, I mean in my 50s/60s would mean chronic pain. Something aches every day, not a 10 on a pain scale, yet at least a 5.
    E.V.E.R.Y. day.
    There is the small windows of no pain when I run, yeah run....then the aching returns. I can take solace in the fact that I get to run at my age (65). Yay.
    I understand and relate about the cost of things like groceries, gasoline and other necessary items. There is the theory that I do not subscribe to, however, wonder about sometimes, that 'they' (always wondered who 'they' are) like the higher prices, then when said high prices drop a little, we are grateful. Even though the lower prices are still higher that what many considered comfortable. For instance, gasoline, $2.20 per gallon....rises to $4.50...then drops to $4.05. Again, yay.
    God gives me what I need, not what I want. Dang it. Today, I am grateful that He recognizes my needs and provides.
    Bottom line, I am with ya Jon. Whoever 'they' are, 'they' are not being nice. Lol
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG
    I'm reading The Kingdom of Sand by Andrew Holleran and your post seems to have been taken from that novel! Whoa.
    And I feel you when you mention the price of an apartment. It's a little bit more here in Chicago (the price of food is similar, though), but you are right, I think freedom (and small pleasures) are worth keeping.
    XOXO

    p.s. thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I hope you are enjoying your time away and look forward to your return online in the near future.

      Delete