Saturday, September 24, 2022

 While I try to stay off political topics these days this is something I feel I have to share with any of you who read this blog. The war in Ukraine we are all aware of and the aparant defeat of Russia by the Ukraine troops...aparant to all except Putin. Now we have seen stories of the conscription and the massive exodus of Russian people who are just becoming aware of what the rest of the world has been watching for months. Today, on a Facebook group I am a member of, the following letter was shared. It is from a young Russian man, Gay and closeted because of Russian anti-LGBTQ laws. He has been in a sort of pen pal conversartion with the poster and wrote what may be his last letter to his friend. Read it and let it set in. I know it is a matter of perspective but it just seems that when you think things can not get worse they do.

This is the letter he sent...(I have removed any personal names)

"... I don't even know where to start... First of all, I would like to apologize for my long absence, but I had my reasons... The fact is that I, like all my colleagues, was handed a document for military service and forced to sign them. We were threatened that in case of refusal, a criminal case would be opened on evasion from military service during the mobilization period, in other words, "desertion". we had no choice and all 27 people of different ages signed these documents... ..., I was in complete shock, and I am in it now.... I didn't sleep for almost two days and tried in every way to find at least some opportunity to officially evade conscription... But unfortunately, so far I have not succeeded... All this time I was at home with my mom and stepfather. Stepfather was a little more lucky, he was given a reprieve due to the fact that he works at a factory producing some parts for trucks. Almost all this time, my mom and I were crying and taking turns comforting each other... I never could have imagined that one day I would face this, but my crazy president did everything to destroy the lives of many young guys....

I am obliged to report to the military enlistment office on Monday and undergo a medical examination. If I don't come, it will be equivalent to desertion. If I try to leave the city, it will also be equivalent to desertion... We were simply left with no choice, but for everyone it will be presented as a voluntary military service... I'm afraid that I can tell the truth to you alone, and I can't even imagine what would happen if someone found out that I'm writing this letter to you....

..., I have only two days of a quiet life left... I decided to write you this letter so that you would know the truth... it's important to me. I am grateful to you for every second of our acquaintance. It was probably the best period of my life... And it looks like the worst is starting now... All the Internet, television and the media do is talk about conscription.... I always thought that people became smarter after so many wars, but I realized that I was very wrong... I do not know what to do now... Maybe you can tell me what I should do better, but I'm afraid that my hands are failing... Even now I am writing you a letter with trembling hands and tears in my eyes, so forgive me if I make mistakes somewhere... There's a void in my head right now. I want to fall asleep and when I wake up, understand that it was just a terrible dream, but I have been suffering from insomnia for two days... I hope that the war will not affect you. I wouldn't wish that on anyone... Forgive me, but now I'm finishing this letter..."

And the letter ends.

I know that here in the United States we had the draft which essentially did the same to young men here but when we made use of the draft it was in defense of an ideal of freedom and democracy. Not because we had invaded a soverign state and put on display to the world the fact that a military we touted as among the best and most fierce in the world was, in fact, no match for Ukraine.

All I can ask is that we all pray that this will be over soon and that, one more time, right will prevail. Pray to your god if you have one, pray out positive vibes to the universe if you do not. Sorry for even posting this but I felt/feel so compelled to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Simply heart breaking. Brought back memories of the Vietnam war. It Reenforces my belief that many of the soldiers are victims of an out-of-control government and just want to live their lives in peace just as we were in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete