Sunday, April 9, 2023

 Here it is a sunny and almost hot Sunday in West Texas. Not a lot of wind, not even enough to cool things off a bit.

I wanted to recommend a piece of music to all of you. If you have never heard it you should try to get hold of a copy and listen to it. It is a musical that was never performed called GOYA...a life in song. It has Placido Domingo as Goya, Dionne Warwick as the inspiration of the Maja and Gloria Estafan, Seiko Matuda and Richie Havens. The album was produced by Phil Ramone. And, it is on CBS Records.

Originally it was to be staged as a musical with Domingo. But due to scheduling issues with his schedule it was produced as a Studio Album instead.

The music and lyrics are by Maury Yeston and every song on it are wonderful to listen to and made me want to learn more about Goya. Now I am ready for a trip to Spain to see his work, expecially the Black Paintings.

Anyway, try to find it and give it a listen I would love to know what you think.

Now, on other issues, I am still alive and kicking. Lot of good it is doing but I do plod through each day with a sort of joy and a little sadness. Which is probably to be expected for me and my circumstances.

Not whining here just lettng you know that my life does not change much on a day by day basis.

I am constantly entertained by some of my co-residents here in "the home" who have taken to having political discussion in the dining room. And, you can not help but listen because many of them are almost totally deaf so a lot of those conversations are being shouted but not in anger, rather out of necessity.

Besides all the conservatives there are, predictably, a lot of really religious (to the point of bigotry) folks here and sometimes I just have to walk away from them rather than reading them the riot act. They have two church services here each Sunday (neither of which I am remotely interested in) one Baptist and one Church of Christ. And there are, to my knowledge, at least three so-called bible studies throughout the week. I don't know where all that is going to get them but it does support their strongly held beliefs that they are here to suffer until they die and go to heaven. Personally, I just can't buy that and I am, in my own way, a very religious/spiritual person who does believe that there is something after all this mess we call life. What, I could not begin to guess. Just that, if nothing else, the very essence of me (soul?), the energy that animates my physical being, will be released and go out into some void which I hope has some meaning or all this really is not worth the effort.

And I said I would not discuss religion here in this blog. I lied!!! Who knows, maybe I will, in the future, actually bite the bullet and discuss politics.

Hope you are all in a good place and that you are healthy and happy.

3 comments:

  1. I do not know that the musical will be my cup of tea, but I will give it a listen. Most of the album seems to be here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nEz0cKNJ1dIh3oc-FLnjSNypbHY-EMvqM

    I wasn't supposed to discuss politics or religion on this blog? Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the music. Sadly it does not have the liner notes so if you are not versed in the life of Goya it may loose something. As for you discussing politics or religion...you can discuss anything you want...there are no restrictions here. My origional position was, for myself, I would just lay low on those issues. But time are challenging and I am beginning to change my attitude...a sort of growth I suppose.

      Delete
  2. I always tell people who try to drag me into their religious discussions that I have my own beliefs and they have as good a chance of changing my mind as I do changing theirs.

    ReplyDelete