Tuesday, June 20, 2023

 Since I sometimes refer to "my tiny little apartment at the home" I thought it might be time to welcome you to my home and give you a tour so that you can see what I am talking about. (Note, this turned out to be a long post because of all the pictures, sorry)

This is the entrance to my "home":

And this is our interior courtyard, the window to the left of the french doors is my window on the world. The french door are the entry to the Library:
The building is actually just an apartment building for elderly people. It is not a nursing home, we have no health care professionals on staff though several residents pay for outside home health attendents. One older retired Doctor who is confined in a wheel chair has a male health care worker who is quite the cutie. He comes in early in the a.m., gets the doctor out of bed and puts him in a special chair in the shower (all the apartments have large bathrooms with large walk in showers). The he puts on a bathing suit, gets in the shower with the doctor and gets him cleaned and ready to start his day. He then dresses the doctor and himself and spends the entire day with him. I am sure his services are not cheap. But that is the sort of care some of the residents have if they have the money.

If he was taking care of me he would not need the bathing suit to give me a shower!!!

We are not like a standard apartment building in that we have a dining room/restaurant where we can get snacks, etc and where they serve three meals a day all included in the price of rent we pay.

You enter our building and sign in ot our front desk which is attended 24/7 year round for the security of all who live here. In additions they have us sign in and out if we are leaving the building. This is so that at the end of the day if someone has not signed back in and did not sign out as being with a relative or care giver they begin a process to locate that person which can go all the way to and elder alert being broadcast and police involveent. This is because so many of our residents tend to forget where they are or where they live and just begin to muddle about.

Now you would next enter my tiny little 385 sq ft apartent which is smaller than my bedroom on the farm. But it is nice, I have a cleaning lady that comes once a week that Timmy has finally stopped growling at. All my utilities are paid including Extended Cable Television and high speed internet services with my own unique network identifiers so that no one can "spy" on another residents use of the intrenet. So I can view all the naked men I want without upseting some 90 year old lady that is just pokeing around on her computer.

You would enter my little apartment and if you stood in the center of the room and just turned in a circle this is what you would see. First my "study":

Then turning you would see my "music room" and "living/bedroom":

Turn a little more and you are in my "kitchen":
Sorry for the mess but I had just done my dishes. Next, as you turn you are face to face with my "media room" which has a 70 inch television which gives the space the feeling of a small movie theatre:
Oh, and that is my printer on the right which connects us back to my study.

Now this tiny little 385 sq ft apartment is where I moved from our farm which had a 3000 sq foot 110 year old house on 4 acres and where we had chickens and ducks and geese. Now for a bit of a trip down memory lane. First our house in the country:
This is where My Robert and I lived when we finally were able to get married after more than 40 years together. Here is an emotional to me picture of our wedding (I have to pause a little and have a good cry):
We were married in a MCC church with an overweight Lesbian minister and it was one of the most important and wonderful days of my life. We lived on the farm with our beast (chickens, ducks, dogs and geese). Here is Robert herding chickens that got into the back yard when I left the gate open;
This is our front yard:
My Robert was so proud of his efforts to cut wood for our winters:
And wood we needed for the fireplace because our winters did get cold and beautiful:
So, there you have it. From 3000 sp ft to 385 sq ft. My life has changed over the past few years. With the death of My Robert, my literally falling apart physically because I did not now how to mourn his death all leading to my need for the life I lead today.

Yes, I am alone and sometimes lonely but I am happy in my little space (yes Lurkie I am trying to convince myself of this as much as it is also true). It is not anything near what I had visioned my retirement to be like but it is what it is and I am satisfied with it. I have access to all the professional care I need in order to repair the broken me which is my primary goal. I know I will never have what I had but life is sort of funny. Maybe, just maybe, I am on a journey to something new and wonderful. That is my hope and dream. I know that it can never be as wonderful as the life I had with My Robert; but if I just live here for the next 10 or 20 years I will be satisfied because my life is good and I will be able to die in peace. I have a few friends and I have you who read this pathetic blog about a silly old man trying to live the best life he can.

Now, enough of all this and on to the day. Yesterday was 106 with and heat index of 112 and today, and this entire week, is supposed to be hotter then the hell that Texas can be on a good day. You all have a great day and stay cool. Love you all...really I do.

11 comments:

  1. I see a terrier! But is he bored of his new chair already?

    I am surprised you got winter in Texas. Did you get snow and cold every year?

    Sixpence will be so pleased for the apartment tour. He loves those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that year we got over 6 inches. And the chair is for curling up in, the bed is for stretching out on. And, I hope Sixpence enjoys the tour. So long as it is not one of his featured blog postings. I did have a friend who recently moved here from back East comment "Do you know what that would cost in Manhattan?" so there is that.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tour and the bits of Jon History.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Jon!
    First of all, love the pic of you two. LOVE it.
    And Ioved the tour. I'll have to show you my basement (again) I changed some things around after the last post I did about it. And I have been visiting people in apartment buildings like this. My friend's ex lives in a place just like this (only slightly bigger) in Minnesota. He likes it.
    And I see you have all that's needed but I can imagine the shock of going from 3000 to 300 sq. ft. But really, isn't it more manageable?
    Now you've given me ideas for a post...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can clean the entire place in less than half an hour, of course the "heavy" stuff and the bathroom are taken care of by the cleaning lady. I no longer have my library with hundreds of books (they were hard to part with) but I do have over a thousand books on my Kindle Paperwhite. It is easy to either use the recliner of lay on the bed to watch television and if I fall asleep I just pull a cover over me and don't have to do an entire routine. Yes, it is a lot mor manageable but that very manageability give me a lot more free time to try to fill.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely loved this post. Since I'm new here I feel like I'm getting to know you. You complex actually looks very pretty and thank heavens you featured the pictures cuz now when I come to shower you I know where I'm going. And I can wear a bathing suit or not I'll leave that up to you! My uncle right now just turned 93.and is doing well and extremely independent....but because my late aunt take care of literary everything with the house...they were married for 65 years till she passed a year and a half ago... his family has Home Health Care come in from 9:00 to 6 p.m. to do house cleaning , laundry, and cooking and any errands he needs since he gave up driving. Me and my mother also stop in during the week and on weekends. A friend of mine who is in home health care once told me she thought I would be a good home care giver.. she said I'm very good with older Folk, and as a gay man I've always been more attracted to older people anyways platonically and sexually so I never minded or gotten awkward around senior citizens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well published before I wanted it to. She said it's harder for gay men to find Home Care workers for gay men. I love people so it's not something I would rule out down the Road. I think it looks like you have a nice comfortable place. And we always love seeing pictures of our friends is pooches! Thanks for sharing this part of your life.

      Delete
    2. Well, first of all, no bathing suits allowed in my shower and I can not promise to keep my hands to myself so be forewarned. As for elderly Queer prople we have very few options. Yes, there are a few places that cater to those of our ilk but they tend to be very expensive and really only for the elite Queers. My little place eats about 2/3 of my total income each month but it does provide everything and when I do the math it usually comes out to be cheaper then renting. Of course there is the thing of being the only Queer person that most of these folks have ever seen up close. But the ownership of this place is very inclusive and lets it be know that any comments that are negative will be considered bullying and can result in that person being told to leave.

      Delete
    3. Okay well I don't have a problem being naked and I guess you can grab away I don't seem to mind and I don't bite. Unless you want me to! I also think it's great that your place will not put up with bullying.

      Delete